Comment categorization

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Do you have any plans to enable reviewers to classify comment categories? My team have been using Malevich now for a few months, and one of the things we've noticed is that it can get easy to lose track of Must Fix comments, from ones that are more question or suggestion orientated. We've made a practice of marking our comments as such (with tags like [Must Fix], [Question] etc.), but it would obviously be a great feature if Malevich provided the ability via something like a drop-down marker.

By the way: what's the state of Malevich v.next development? Do you have a group of active contributors? I might be interested to help in my occasional spare time if it would be of assistance.

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The philosophy of Malevich was always to make commenting as simple as possible. My fear was always that if you add categorization, you would introduce an extra click or two, and this would mean that some comments would not be entered :-).

WRT development - I am sitting on a massive chaange list that needs to be cleaned up - this is the current tip of the source - but just did not have time to do it. If you'd like to help, I would definitely appreciate it, and would be more than happy to do code reviews, etc.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Regarding commenting: I see your point. I think within our team, the friction to select a category from a drop-down wouldn't really be that much friction as to inhibit review activity. But I get that your aspiration is a complete minimum of resistance. The tool definitely does a very good job of that!

Regarding dev contributions: It might be a while before I have time to contribute, but would definitely be interested. I've never contributed to a CodePlex effort before (kind of selfishly, I've just been a consumer. :-) ), what\how would I need to do to get up to speed with the current state of your work on it, and what do I need to do to be a contributor?