Ask questions about using Malevich here!

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2009 at 4:23 AM
Eventually, there will be FAQ, but for now, this is the place for your Qs.
Developer
Apr 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM
How do I clean up the set of reviews list ? Is there no way to clean up from the UI ?

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM
If you mean closing the review, it's "review close changelist" (or "review delete changelist" if the changelist has been abandoned). You can only do it from a command line tool.
If you mean removing a reviewer from a change list, you cannot currently do this. Nobody asked for this functionality yet :-).
May 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM
How do I send emails from the person who is submitting the code review request. I have got it running fine. But I want people to send their own mail once they submit their request. We tried running review notifier but it would send all the mails uptill then from whoever ran it first.

I am using exchange server to send emails.

Coordinator
May 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM
To gargvivek: you can't, unfortunately. It's  a security thing. In Exchange the ability to send mail on behalf of another user is a security privilege. Without granting this privilege by every user to the account under which Malevich is running - an impractical thing - you cannot do this. What Malevich is doing instead is it has reply-to field set to the sending user. But this is as much as it can do...

Sorry!
Aug 14, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I'm looking to customize the URL that is sent within notifier mails. I moved malevich to the root directory of our webserver and therefore I would like to remove the /Malevich directory from any sent messages. Is there a way to customize the URL?

Thanks,

Andy

UPDATE: I think I found the answer myself. Seems like the path is constructed from the dbo.SourceControl.WebsiteName field.

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Exactly right. The installer handles this automatically for you. You can also use the templates to edit the email directly and hardcode the website path there.

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM
Edited Aug 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Q: Any plans to support review.exe client on Mac OSX ?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Unfortunately Malevich depends on a lot of Microsoft infrastructure - it's built on .NET platform and it uses SQL server client connectivity layer to talk to the server. I imagine none of this exists on a Mac, which would make port extremely dificult.

One possible approach would be to run a web service on Malevich server to upload code review data. It would not be very hard. If you're interested in making this contribution, and then developing a web service client that would be portable, I would be glad to add you to the dev team :-).

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Question: The System requirements page (http://malevich.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=System%20requirements) says we need TFS, Perforce, and Source Depot. Are these all needed to work with Malevich? I am guessing we just need one of them (whichever we use to manage our source code) but the help text on this page uses "and" which is confusing.   

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM

A: Obviously you just need one of those source management systems installed.

New question: I tried to get the function keys working (F7/F8) but they seem to have no effect to scroll to changes. How are you supposed to use those keys in IE or FF for instance?

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2009 at 5:01 PM

F7/F8: should just work. I tested them in Firefox, Chrome, and IE8... in fact, I test them every day as I do code reviews. Is there a possibility that you are using non-US keyboard/locale? Please let me know...

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I'm using IE8 and Firefox neither of these browsers seem to understand F7/F8. In fact F7 maps to the "caret browsing" feature of IE8 and FF 3.5. F8 is just ignored in both browsers. I am using a US keyboard with standard locales for the region.

Thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2009 at 2:07 AM

This was in fact a bug, and it was introduced by the single-pane diff view change. The fix has now been checked in: http://malevich.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/28137

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:37 AM
Edited Oct 29, 2009 at 5:46 AM

Nice cr tool

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Looks like there is no support for diffing powershell files (*.ps1). However we can diff *.psclass1 files, why is that? why does it not work?

Files:  
  //depot/CCS_Branch2/sources/Dev/MgmtSys/DeploymentSystem/Library/AuthZDeployment.ps1#11 EDIT
  //depot/CCS_Branch2/sources/Dev/MgmtSys/DeploymentSystem/Samples/SampleComponent.psclass1#1 EDIT

any thing that can be done to support it?

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I have not been able to configure notifier on my Malevich setup. I set up the review notifier following the instructions below:

ReviewNotifier exchange https://mail.microsoft.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx microsoft.com
   ReviewNotifier credentials alice 1!ecila!2 REDMOND reviewlog
   ReviewNotifier webserver alicebox
   ReviewNotifier database alicebox\alice
   ReviewNotifier schedule 10

But it does not seem to send email to the specified alias when I send the following command at the client side: review.exe 145995 shipram

Am I missing something? How do I troubleshoot the problem? Are there any logs etc?

thanks,

Shipra.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM

pritams: we "resolved" this problem (by identifying it) internally, but for the benefit of humanity, it was that the ps1 file in question was checked in as Unicode. The reason Unicode files are not diffable in Malevich is because sd/p4 diff unicodefile.txt results in the characters not being a part of the current code page being replaced by [.] (a dot). This would result in wrong/corrupt files stored in Malevich database, incorrect diffs, and incorrect files being uploaded.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM

shipram: consider using "reviewnotifier testsetup email" to test out the settings. If you are using exchange protocol, and incorrectly specified webservice end point is the most likely culprit.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:07 PM
thanks Sergey, I did not know about the internal dl so asked the question first in this dl. we are thinking of adopting your awesome CR tool for our team and hence looking into it.

thanks again.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM, SergeySolyanik <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

pritams: we "resolved" this problem (by identifying it) internally, but for the benefit of humanity, it was that the ps1 file in question was checked in as Unicode. The reason Unicode files are not diffable in Malevich is because sd/p4 diff unicodefile.txt results in the characters not being a part of the current code page being replaced by [.] (a dot). This would result in wrong/corrupt files stored in Malevich database, incorrect diffs, and incorrect files being uploaded.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Malevich@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Malevich@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Hi,

Is support for TFS 2010 planned? If so, when can the bits be available? We don't use TFS now and are starting with 2010.

Thanks!

Bob Hardister

VS ALM Rangers Community Lead

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2010 at 7:04 PM
bhardister wrote:

Hi,

Is support for TFS 2010 planned? If so, when can the bits be available? We don't use TFS now and are starting with 2010.

Thanks!

Bob Hardister

VS ALM Rangers Community Lead

Hi, Bob, I have not tried TFS 2010 yet, but there is nothing that I know of that should prevent Malevich from working with it. Unless they changed the API in an incompatible way, which Microsoft does not do very often.