Installation and usage

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:09 AM

I managed to get it working with a bit of detective work using the new installer.  I guess the installation instructions should be updated since it refers to the manual deployment and not the installer.

1. The installer is to be used on the server and not the user's workstation.
  2. On Win2008, I had to open the SQL Server Discovery port (1044) and make sure that SQL Server Discovery service is working otherwise the server cannot be located, even if it is local.
  3. The database must be installed as CodeReview since it is hard coded in the review tool
  4. The environment variable REVIEW_DATABASE contains only the server name and not the full instance because of #3
  5. The installer creates the web site under the data directory where IIS_USER don't have access.  I had to grant access manually.

Couple of suggestions:

1. You should remove the databases files from the database project since it may block deployment.  The server will create the database files on its default location
  2. The installer should probably deploy the web site under INETPUB
  3. Can REVIEW be able to support the default changelist under SD?  If not, instructions on how to generate the changelist would be nice.

I showed the default installation to a number of my peer today and they were pretty excited about it.  Thanks for putting it up together.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

During installation on my Vista x64/SQL Server 2008 I encoutered several issues:

* You have to type "Yes" and "No"  [well, this is obvous, but using y,n will be apperciated]

* It can't change COLLATION in SQL Server 2008 - The database could not be exclusively locked to perform the operation.

The fix for it is to manualy remove collation changing from  $(TargetFileName) [<-- this name also isn't smart] & run it in SQL Server. Next set up DB to single user mode (manualy), change collation, reverse to multiple user mode and restart Malevich setup. For me it will be enought if I can edit DB script before it is executed - like messages:

"DB Script has been generated.. please any key to run it" (so I have time to alter DB script)

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Installing on a SQL server with default collation other than SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS is currently a problem. I will try to figure out how to fix it in a new CL.