Bbpack/sdpack/jjpack/whateverpack support

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Is there any way to have review.exe automatically upload to the Malevich server the bbpack/sdpack/... that describes the change? This will allow people to do CR using their favorite tool diff instead of using the Web UI (BeyondCompare, Windiff, Odd, etc.)

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Edited Jul 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM

You can wrap review.exe in a script (incidentally, check out http://scriptster.codeplex.com for this purpose) that packs, copies the data to a share, and use addlink command to review.exe to point to it. Since there is no universal "patching" tool that I could support, this has to be done externally to Malevich. As far as using "favorite diff tool", it kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? The whole reason for Malevich is ease of commenting. If you're using an external tool to do this, you don't get its most important functionality. Why use it then?

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:41 AM

Thanks Sergey, I'll try that.

Of the first three people I've sent a CR request to, two asked how they can replace the diff tool.

Personally, from the little use I've had of the tool so far, I'd say its biggest value for me is that it removes all the email-based "management" of a CR with several people I've had to do so far.

Ease of writing comments is certainly nice, but as a code-reviewer, what I care most is that I'll be able to use the tools that I'm most comfortable with to do the review. For example, in complex reviews, I unpack all changes to a local drive and use the editor itself as a code browser instead of just reading the changes.

I realize that different people work differently.

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Incidentally, I don't know if you've seen it, but there is a windiff-style (single-pane view) now. It is selectable via settings (top right corner of every web page). Maybe it will go a few steps towards redressing the differ grievances :-). I also plan to check in an option to do space-agnostic diffing shortly.