Login failed because of something

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM

After installing Malevich in the server, I can't get it to work when trying to submit shelvesets for review although others can.

The error here tells me that the domain is untrusted. What does the computer mean? I can also connect remotely to this computer with no problems, so it must be something related to the database obviously, but what do I need to do in order to become trusted?

Please, help! 100 million hours is too much. Even to live!

The following is the error. After successfully login....

F:\directory\reviewclient>review 123 myreviewer

Attempting to authenticate with http://my-server:8080/
Successfully authenticated with http://my-server:8080/

Unhandled Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed. The login
 is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception
, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObj
ect stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cm
dHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, Tds
ParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlis
tOK)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo
serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire,
 SqlConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host
, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject
, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnecti
on owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Bool
ean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdent
ity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
 newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOp
tions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
 owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConn
ection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owning
Object)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection o
wningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection ownin
gObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection ow
ningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection ou
terConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlConnectionManager.UseConnection(IConnectionU
ser user)
   at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.get_IsSqlCe()
   at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.InitializeProviderMode()
   at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider
.Execute(Expression query)
   at System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteMethodCall(Object instance, MethodInfo
 methodInfo, Object[] parameters)
   at DataModel.CodeReviewDataContext.AddChangeList(Nullable`1 sourceControl, St
ring userClient, String cL, String description, Nullable`1 timeStamp, Nullable`1
& result)
   at review.Program.ProcessCodeReview(CodeReviewDataContext context, ISourceCon
trol sd, Int32 sourceControlInstanceId, String changeList, List`1 reviewers, Lis
t`1 invitees, String link, String linkDescr)
   at review.Program.Main(String[] args)

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Hi, Fabio,

Yes, this means that it cannot access the database. If you have SQL Server Management Studio installed on the workstation you are using to submit the code review, you can try to access the SQL Server instance that hosts malevich database (typically, it's just the computer name where the database is) using Windows Authentication option is SSMS and it should work.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that you are either trying to submit from a local account (on your machine, vs the domain account), or you have two domains in your environment and the domain where your account is located is not trusted by the machine that runs Malevich (and the domains do not trust each other).

The best way to proceed, depending on your situation, would be to (1) use domain account if you are not, (2) set up limited (authentication) trust between the domain of your account and the domain of Malevich server, or (3) if you absoluetly must use a local account, create a local account on Malevich server with the same name and password as your local account on your local machine. This is sort of the last resort solution.

If you tell us more about how your network is set up, perhaps I could be of more help. Feel free to PM me as well...

-S

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Options number 3 worked fine!

BTW, it would be great to have a msi instalation program for the server and for the client.

Anyway, thank you!